Happy Mother's Day from Onions 52
May 12, 2023
At Onions 52, we want to show our love and appreciation for all the moms that work hard each day to love and look after their families. One of our favorite ways to show appreciation for our moms is by spending quality time together.
Cooking with your mom on Mother's Day is a special way to spend time together while creating delicious memories. Plan to spend special family time with Mom and create an amazing meal together using the ideas below:
- Plan the menu together: Sit down with your mom a few days before Mother's Day and plan a menu that you both would like to cook. This could be her favorite dish or something new that you both would like to try. We love this Easy Chicken Citrus, Fennel, and Onion sheet pan meal for a simple dish with an exquisite taste! (See below)
- Shop for ingredients together: Make grocery shopping part of the fun! Go shopping for the ingredients together. This is a great opportunity to bond over food and spend time together.
- Cook together: Once you have all the ingredients, get to work in the kitchen. Follow the recipe together, dividing up tasks as needed. Don't be afraid to ask your mom for cooking tips or tricks – utilize this time together to learn from her.
- Set the table together: While the food is cooking, set the table together. Get creative with the table settings and make it look special for the occasion.
- Enjoy the meal together: Once the food is ready, sit down and enjoy the meal together. Savor the delicious food and the memories you've made while cooking together. Take this time to tell your mom why you are thankful for her.
- Clean up FOR Mom: Show her your ultimate appreciation by cleaning up dinner while she enjoys some relaxation.
Remember, the most important thing is to spend quality time with your mom and show her how much you appreciate her. Cooking together is our favorite way to show love and create everlasting memories!
The recipe below is one of our favorite onion-centric recipes to cook with the whole family!
Easy Chicken Citrus, Fennel And Onion Sheet Pan Meal from the NOA
8-10 chicken legs (drumsticks)
1 fennel bulb
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1 large red onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
3 medium-sized potatoes, cubed
Juice of 1 orange, about ¼ cup
Zest of 1 orange
1/4 teaspoon thyme, dried
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Brown rice and Quinoa, cooked according to package directions
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
Orange rind curls
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large 13 x18-inch sheet pan with parchment paper. Place chicken legs on a sheet pan. Spread vegetables around and in between chicken on the pan.
In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice and zest, thyme, and olive oil. Pour mixture over chicken and vegetables. Season everything with salt and pepper.
Roast at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender. While vegetables and chicken are roasting, cook brown rice and quinoa mixture.
Serve over hot rice, quinoa mixture and garnish with parsley and orange curls.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.